When the weather gets hot, we turn to our air conditioners to keep us cool. However, running an air conditioner constantly can be costly. Here are 7 secrets to lowering your air conditioning costs this Summer.
1. Increase your ceiling fan use. A ceiling fan creates a wind chill effect, which can make the room feel up to seven degrees cooler than it actually is. This means that you can lower your thermostat and your air conditioning costs. In addition to this effect, the ceiling fan will push down cool air as it comes into the room.
2. Use your air conditioner less. The warmer you set the temperature, the less your air conditioner has to work, and the more money you save.
3. Get a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat will allow you to automatically change the temperature in your home at specified times of the day. For example, if you are at work all day, the air conditioner does not need to be set to its coolest setting. Instead, you can keep it warmer when you are not there, and program the thermostat to switch to a more comfortable temperature at the time you arrive home. Similarly, with a smart thermostat, you will be able to control the temperature of your home from anywhere.
4. Keep up with air conditioning maintenance. Part of this maintenance includes cleaning and/or replacing the air filter. If the air filter is blocked and dirty, then your air conditioning will have to do more work to cool down your home. With a clean air filter, you will save money. Contact Beam HVAC to have your air filter cleaned.
5. Don’t generate extra heat. Try to avoid things that create even more heat in the middle of the day when the temperature is at its highest. This includes using the oven, stove, dishwasher, and dryer.
6. Keep the curtains closed. If you close your curtains and blinds when the sun in shining in, your home will stay cooler.
7. Seal your windows and doors. Sealing your windows and doors prevents cool air from escaping from your home, thus reducing the cooling burden on the air conditioner.
Everyone is looking to save money. Lowering your air conditioning costs this summer is achievable and rewarding. As always, if you have any questions or issues with your HVAC system that are more complicated, it is best that you contact Beam HVAC to make sure that any issues are fixed correctly and safely. https://www.beamhvac.com/